Las Vegas, Nevada
4 years ago
Kathryn Beringer sat at her desk in her office. She was looking over the financial statements from the bank and smiling. She often did so to look at the numbers and they never stopped looking dull. Most of her life had been a life on the edge between poor and destitute. Between living and existing. Now, she was a self-made woman with wealth and power. It was not glamorous work. It was not typically honest either. But from her job she could have anything the material world could offer and that was fine with her.
The intercom buzzed.
“Angel, be a dear and hold my calls for just a few more moments.”
“I’m sorry ma’am, but a Mister Vargis is on the line.”
Kathryn rolled her eyes. “Ah, yes, patch him through.”
“Yes ma’am.”
As her secretary clicked off, Kathryn sat more upright and closed her eyes. She pulled down her business shirt as if she were expecting the man to walk through the doors.
“Mark Vargis, what an expected surprise!” Kathryn faked the voice, as she was practiced to do for clients like Mark.
“Kathryn, the siren’s voice you have calls me to your city. I am currently in L.A. waiting for a flight to Vegas on business. But my itinerary has a few holes in it. Long enough for an old acquaintance to be reacquainted with the most beautiful woman in the world since Helen of Troy?”
She smiled at that line. Always a smooth talker, if not a little cheesy.
“The most beautiful woman? Well let’s take a look at whom you know. If I recall correctly you talked about Mima very fondly. I presume that is who you mean?”
“Kathryn, Kathryn you presume too little”.
She faked a gasp of surprise. “A man of your charm would not suggest that a lady’s memory is incorrect, would you?” Such banter was a part of the job and she smirked in such conversation. Kathryn was already pulling out her business planner.
“But of course not! I was hoping you would have an opening to receive a guest for an evening. I will stress that I prefer your company. Like back in the days, for old times sake.”
Kathryn closed her planner and any semblance of jest faded. “Mark, I don’t handle business like that anymore. I have people who work for me now. You know this.”
That was slightly false but a little fib or a bold lie was a part of the job. The clients knew to expect that. They did not pay for the truth, not were they supposed to expect anything more. That was the code, the underlying bond that made the system work. Besides, Kathryn had her favorites and Mark stopped being one of them when he started talking about a future with her. That was against the code.
“Things are different now Kathy. I promise it won’t be like it used to. I am a changed man.”
There was a moment of silence as Kathryn considered it.
“You know you were the only one allowed to call me Kathy.”
“Then I have won you over?”
“Not like that, but I’ll agree to a meeting.” She opened her planner and they made an arrangement.
The call was done and she sat in silence for a few minutes mulling over her memories with Mark. Although some of the good feelings were remembered ... there was no emotion. He was a client. That was all. She used every trick in the book to stop his advances before. Then she introduced Mima to an evening out and Mark's attention to her was Kathryn’s relief.
Still, Mark was fun and well connected. She decided to give him another night.
4 years ago
Kathryn Beringer sat at her desk in her office. She was looking over the financial statements from the bank and smiling. She often did so to look at the numbers and they never stopped looking dull. Most of her life had been a life on the edge between poor and destitute. Between living and existing. Now, she was a self-made woman with wealth and power. It was not glamorous work. It was not typically honest either. But from her job she could have anything the material world could offer and that was fine with her.
The intercom buzzed.
“Angel, be a dear and hold my calls for just a few more moments.”
“I’m sorry ma’am, but a Mister Vargis is on the line.”
Kathryn rolled her eyes. “Ah, yes, patch him through.”
“Yes ma’am.”
As her secretary clicked off, Kathryn sat more upright and closed her eyes. She pulled down her business shirt as if she were expecting the man to walk through the doors.
“Mark Vargis, what an expected surprise!” Kathryn faked the voice, as she was practiced to do for clients like Mark.
“Kathryn, the siren’s voice you have calls me to your city. I am currently in L.A. waiting for a flight to Vegas on business. But my itinerary has a few holes in it. Long enough for an old acquaintance to be reacquainted with the most beautiful woman in the world since Helen of Troy?”
She smiled at that line. Always a smooth talker, if not a little cheesy.
“The most beautiful woman? Well let’s take a look at whom you know. If I recall correctly you talked about Mima very fondly. I presume that is who you mean?”
“Kathryn, Kathryn you presume too little”.
She faked a gasp of surprise. “A man of your charm would not suggest that a lady’s memory is incorrect, would you?” Such banter was a part of the job and she smirked in such conversation. Kathryn was already pulling out her business planner.
“But of course not! I was hoping you would have an opening to receive a guest for an evening. I will stress that I prefer your company. Like back in the days, for old times sake.”
Kathryn closed her planner and any semblance of jest faded. “Mark, I don’t handle business like that anymore. I have people who work for me now. You know this.”
That was slightly false but a little fib or a bold lie was a part of the job. The clients knew to expect that. They did not pay for the truth, not were they supposed to expect anything more. That was the code, the underlying bond that made the system work. Besides, Kathryn had her favorites and Mark stopped being one of them when he started talking about a future with her. That was against the code.
“Things are different now Kathy. I promise it won’t be like it used to. I am a changed man.”
There was a moment of silence as Kathryn considered it.
“You know you were the only one allowed to call me Kathy.”
“Then I have won you over?”
“Not like that, but I’ll agree to a meeting.” She opened her planner and they made an arrangement.
The call was done and she sat in silence for a few minutes mulling over her memories with Mark. Although some of the good feelings were remembered ... there was no emotion. He was a client. That was all. She used every trick in the book to stop his advances before. Then she introduced Mima to an evening out and Mark's attention to her was Kathryn’s relief.
Still, Mark was fun and well connected. She decided to give him another night.
No comments:
Post a Comment