The flowers were unlike any she had ever seen before:
long, white petals with a green-purple hue radiating in helix curls from the
floral axis to the tip of each petal. Their delicate fragrance did not
overpower the senses and her office was filled with the wonderful fumes.
Scarlet was in a blind reverie from it.
“Smells like someone is in love.”
The Scarlet Scorpion jumped in her seat. “Northern Might, you startled me!” She was a little embarrassed having been caught off guard, especially in her own office.
“I should note this day in my calendar as that is a first. I must admit, I’m not used to seeing you in your office, much less looking so …”
“What? In love? Psht. Not me. But getting flowers from an admirer is almost never bad. It’s been a while, you know?” Scarlet looked to her comrade with a hope of understanding.
Northern Might got the message but was in a playful mood. “Not really. Marsius is a romantic at the molecular level.”
Rebuffed, “Lucky you. So what can I do for you?”
“Nothing. What can I do for you?” Northern Might's emphasis accompanied her looking toward the flowers.
Scarlet followed her friend’s glace and understood the subtle signal then waved her hand toward a chair. Northern Might accepted the offer and slid stealthily into the hard plastic chair.
“For starters,” Scarlet sat back in her chair as if to dictate to her secretary, “I’m no stranger to being with men, far from it. But it’s been a long time since any relationship was not … solicited or advertised.” She raised an eyebrow at the last words.
Northern Might nodded, “so you’re wondering why would a non-meta try to get involved with a meta … knowing that the risks almost outweigh the rewards?”
Sitting forward with enthusiasm, Scarlet replied, “That’s the rub: ARE the risks worth it? Isn’t fulfillment subjective?”
Northern Might shrugged. "It’s not so scientific, but even that statement has its own perspective. It’s a minefield of ethics, sorrow and happiness. Have you asked him: why you? Let’s face it, of all the heroes in Paragon, show me an ugly one.”
Scarlet snorted and sat back. “
If I asked, then I'd be disappointed. I've heard it all before. But ... there is sincerity out of desperation and sincerity from truth.”
“What do you mean?”
A smile crawled on Scarlet’s lips. “Desperation for sex. A man will say anything for sex, especially if he anticipates it to be good. But Nathan …” Scarlet looked away as if she entered a trance. “He is genuinely interested and this time it seems different to me.”
It was Northern Might’s turn to smile but was silent, choosing to let the red-head talk. Scarlet raised a hand to her eye patch and paused, then continued to run the hand through her hair. She sighed.
“So, if anyone is in love it is definitely him.” Scarlet smirked with a wink. The room was still for a few more seconds as the two women looked at each other.
Then Northern Might raised an eyebrow.
Scarlet received the question. “Nope, not yet. If this is the real deal, then he will have to wait. If not, then …” Scarlet shrugged with a wry smile.
“So how do you know he is not desperate?”
“Women’s intuition,” Scarlet said with a smile.
“Smells like someone is in love.”
The Scarlet Scorpion jumped in her seat. “Northern Might, you startled me!” She was a little embarrassed having been caught off guard, especially in her own office.
“I should note this day in my calendar as that is a first. I must admit, I’m not used to seeing you in your office, much less looking so …”
“What? In love? Psht. Not me. But getting flowers from an admirer is almost never bad. It’s been a while, you know?” Scarlet looked to her comrade with a hope of understanding.
Northern Might got the message but was in a playful mood. “Not really. Marsius is a romantic at the molecular level.”
Rebuffed, “Lucky you. So what can I do for you?”
“Nothing. What can I do for you?” Northern Might's emphasis accompanied her looking toward the flowers.
Scarlet followed her friend’s glace and understood the subtle signal then waved her hand toward a chair. Northern Might accepted the offer and slid stealthily into the hard plastic chair.
“For starters,” Scarlet sat back in her chair as if to dictate to her secretary, “I’m no stranger to being with men, far from it. But it’s been a long time since any relationship was not … solicited or advertised.” She raised an eyebrow at the last words.
Northern Might nodded, “so you’re wondering why would a non-meta try to get involved with a meta … knowing that the risks almost outweigh the rewards?”
Sitting forward with enthusiasm, Scarlet replied, “That’s the rub: ARE the risks worth it? Isn’t fulfillment subjective?”
Northern Might shrugged. "It’s not so scientific, but even that statement has its own perspective. It’s a minefield of ethics, sorrow and happiness. Have you asked him: why you? Let’s face it, of all the heroes in Paragon, show me an ugly one.”
Scarlet snorted and sat back. “
If I asked, then I'd be disappointed. I've heard it all before. But ... there is sincerity out of desperation and sincerity from truth.”
“What do you mean?”
A smile crawled on Scarlet’s lips. “Desperation for sex. A man will say anything for sex, especially if he anticipates it to be good. But Nathan …” Scarlet looked away as if she entered a trance. “He is genuinely interested and this time it seems different to me.”
It was Northern Might’s turn to smile but was silent, choosing to let the red-head talk. Scarlet raised a hand to her eye patch and paused, then continued to run the hand through her hair. She sighed.
“So, if anyone is in love it is definitely him.” Scarlet smirked with a wink. The room was still for a few more seconds as the two women looked at each other.
Then Northern Might raised an eyebrow.
Scarlet received the question. “Nope, not yet. If this is the real deal, then he will have to wait. If not, then …” Scarlet shrugged with a wry smile.
“So how do you know he is not desperate?”
“Women’s intuition,” Scarlet said with a smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment