Monday, September 12, 2011

Closer to the Heart


Even in the sunlight the coffee whispered vapor from the surface. A slight breeze pushed the light cloud from the cup’s rim. Scarlet was watching the stillness of the liquid surface until she saw Daikar’s reflection looking back at her.

She looked up to see the man, the Grand Battler, standing near her table. “Good to see you,” she said and extended her arm. Daikar took it and leaned at the waist to kiss the back of her hand. “The pleasure is mine, dear friend.”

He filled the seat across her and straightened his jacket. Waving the server away indicated he did not need attention. Daikar watched Scarlet sip her cup then looked toward sky and other places, as if to fill the silence between them with motion.

“I appreciate your coming Daikar. You look well.”

“As do you, but have you invited me here for small talk?”

Scarlet placed the cup onto the saucer gently. “Not really, but it’s been a while since we talked at all.”

The dark blonde hero smoothed his mustache. “True. I’ve noticed the Dawn Patrol has been a little quiet lately. I am prying because I detest small talk.”

She smiled. “You’re blunt. Your observations are also accurate. With the second Rikti invasion, our members thinned out from casualties. Nothing like the first time of course, but it happens unfortunately.”

Daikar nodded. Scarlet sipped.

“How is your love life?”

She kept her surprise from showing and placed the cup down then sighed. “I should not be surprised you could tell.” She smiled and blushed lightly. “I have an admirer.”

He leaned onto an arm, “I’m surprised it hasn’t happened sooner. What do you think?”

“Honestly, even after everything I’ve been through, I’m a little scared.”

Daikar sat back, “Then end it now.”

Stunned, Scarlet straightened in her seat. “What? Why would you say that?”

“Because fear is your greatest enemy, it will kill you or him … or both.”

She sighed. “I remember the lessons, Daikar, no need to be a teacher today. Just be a friend.”

He raised both hands, “Forgive me.”

Scarlet smirked, “It’s ok. Look, he’s not a meta and I’m trying to get it straight. I’ve spent so much effort being a good “hero” for everyone else that I have put everything else on a shelf. Honestly, being in a relationship is the last thing I have even considered in many years. I had more business … partners … than friends. Regardless, I’m thinking I’m due for someone to celebrate “me”. No training, no leading, no fighting. But with my powers, my status, should I get involved?”

“Kathy, you don’t need me for any relationship advice. But I will say this: every action has a reaction – good or bad. So do what you want to do and do not regret what could or should have done.”

She nodded and the breeze sliced through the silence between them. Daikar looked away. “Are you happy?”

Scarlet shrugged lightly. “Yes. Maybe. I don’t know. No?”

“You look happy, but you hide yourself very well.”

“It’s a part of the craft from my past. Some things are hard to forget.” She smiled.

Daikar looked down, remembering something he didn’t want to remember. “I know.” He looked up. “Kathryn, never regret anything you do in life … or love.” Standing, he never looked away from Scarlet. “He is a lucky man.” The Grand Battler turned to leave when Scarlet grabbed his hand.

“Can I call on you?”

“Always.” He slipped from her grasp and walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment