Friday, July 6, 2012

(All) To be found?

The dark room was illuminated by the computer screen and a burning end of a cigarette as air was sucked through it.  The amber glow moved from the man's face who was smiling at what he was reading.  The room itself was sparse except for the man's toolbox and rubble scattered throughout.

The smile seemed to glow with diabolical joy.

A cell phone beeped quietly and the man flipped open the lid to answer.

"Yes.  Most of it is still here.  The disc was almost unsalvagable."

A pause.

"All I could get was phase two through four of the Project."

A pause.

"I made contact with him.  Your contacts know the right people.  They found him."

A pause.

"There shouldn't be any problems.  If this group can find GREL-88, they can find the rest."

A pause.  A nod.

"Better them than anyone else I suppose."

A pause.  A shake.

"I don't know them.  Never heard of them.  No one I can pay enough knows them.  Now that Eighty-eight is technically 10-64,  keeping tabs on him will be beyond my ... standard pay rate ... tosurveil.  Eighty-eight is learned to gather the Korps together and now he has friends to do that."

A pause.  A nod.

"Yes, Colonel.  We'll see what Eighty-eight can do."

The line closed as did the phone.  Paladin went back to his task with another drag off the cigarette.

No comments:

Post a Comment