“Seriously? You’ve never heard of Vanguard?!” Kathryn was stunned.
“I’m sorry, I meant I have not heard about what they do officially.” Nathan was defensive.
The couple had been walking in Atlas Park. The neighborhood was known to the hero community as ‘Downside’ when they turned a corner to the building housing a Vanguard office. A Vanguard officer stood sentinel in front of the doors and was menace-looking. Nathan steered them toward the small park in front of the building to have a broader look at the entrance to the international group. The building was tall and not obviously a portal to the Paragon Headquarters of the preeminent anti-invasion force on the planet.
“I’m sorry sweetie, that’s a little hard to believe but it makes sense, from a certain point of view.” Scarlet looked like she was about to let the topic pass, but inside she was reeling from the recent revelation by her lover. His next words would lead her one way or another.
“Being from a small town, the invasion was only heard about. No offense beautiful, but until I met you, every superhero looked the same to me. Not literally, of course.”
She looked at Nathan with a sideways glance. For the first time in their relationship, doubt darkened the conversation. Kathryn smiled when he looked to her due to her silence. “I see. Well, don’t let The Lady Grey hear that, she enjoys being in the spotlight.” She nodded toward the guard. Their helmets covered the face but apparently he was watching her because he slowly nodded in response. That made her uneasy and guarded.
Nathan chuckled. “Is there something about her?”
Kathryn shrugged, “Professional differences.”
Nathan stopped walking and pulled Kathryn to him. They embraced as he kissed her suddenly. After several moments they released. “That was nice,” she said.
“Let’s get out of here and talk about some other business.”
As they walked away from the Vanguard entrance, Kathryn knew the guard was still watching her. Once the building was out sight she tried to focus her attention to Nathan and the anticipation of sex, but something beneath that state of awareness reduced the pleasure of the moment.
“I’m sorry, I meant I have not heard about what they do officially.” Nathan was defensive.
The couple had been walking in Atlas Park. The neighborhood was known to the hero community as ‘Downside’ when they turned a corner to the building housing a Vanguard office. A Vanguard officer stood sentinel in front of the doors and was menace-looking. Nathan steered them toward the small park in front of the building to have a broader look at the entrance to the international group. The building was tall and not obviously a portal to the Paragon Headquarters of the preeminent anti-invasion force on the planet.
“I’m sorry sweetie, that’s a little hard to believe but it makes sense, from a certain point of view.” Scarlet looked like she was about to let the topic pass, but inside she was reeling from the recent revelation by her lover. His next words would lead her one way or another.
“Being from a small town, the invasion was only heard about. No offense beautiful, but until I met you, every superhero looked the same to me. Not literally, of course.”
She looked at Nathan with a sideways glance. For the first time in their relationship, doubt darkened the conversation. Kathryn smiled when he looked to her due to her silence. “I see. Well, don’t let The Lady Grey hear that, she enjoys being in the spotlight.” She nodded toward the guard. Their helmets covered the face but apparently he was watching her because he slowly nodded in response. That made her uneasy and guarded.
Nathan chuckled. “Is there something about her?”
Kathryn shrugged, “Professional differences.”
Nathan stopped walking and pulled Kathryn to him. They embraced as he kissed her suddenly. After several moments they released. “That was nice,” she said.
“Let’s get out of here and talk about some other business.”
As they walked away from the Vanguard entrance, Kathryn knew the guard was still watching her. Once the building was out sight she tried to focus her attention to Nathan and the anticipation of sex, but something beneath that state of awareness reduced the pleasure of the moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment