Friday, July 6, 2012

(All) To be found?

Paladin was looking through binoculars when Proust walked up behind him.  They were both standing on a rooftop overlooking Grendel's Gulch in Eastgate.  Proust's armored gauntlet snapped and hissed into place over his massive arms.  Relaxing his arms, Paladin looked up to Proust whose gaze was fixed to the gaping hole in the earth.

"Ready Colonel?"

Proust simply nodded.  Then pointed into the chasm.  "There?"

Paladin nodded.  Then he noticed Proust was not looking at him.  "Yes.  There is a cave entrance to the eastern part of the ridgeline ... about eight-hundred meters from here and fifty meters down.  See the half-buried red car?"

"Yes."

"Ever fought the Trolls."

Proust nodded and huffed, "Hard."

"They are?"

Shaking his head, Proust replied, "No."

Paladin crouched and peered out into the crater.  "This is one of many tasks I need your assistance with.  Inside the cave is a captive of the Trolls gang.  She has information I need.  She also has information you need.  Based on what she tells me will determine what I can give you about your past and purpose."

With a snort, "Purpose."

Paladin sharply looked up at Proust. "Do you know why you exist Colonel?  Do I need to remind you of that?"

Proust slowly turned to the man.  "Vengeance."

"Try again."

"No."

Paladin grinned and slapped Proust's calf muscle.  "Right, just teasing you.  Is there anything more you need from me?"

"No."

"Ok then.  Rescue Jade Falcon and bring her to me here, I'll be waiting.  I'll even cover your escape."  At those words, Paladin dragged a bag closer and unzipped it, pulling out a disassembled sniper rifle.  Mutely he started locking pieces into place.

Proust took a step back and squatted as if a spring were being coiled.  "No need."  With a slight grunt he leaped into the air toward the cave entrance.

Paladin just grinned, rested the rifle's legs on the rooftop ledge, and peered into the scope.

No comments:

Post a Comment